On July 4, 1872, after huge government land grants, the Wisconsin Central Railway connected Stevens Point and Marshfield, finally bringing rail service to Wood County.
But it was not until November of that year that the Green Bay & Lake Pepin line steamed in at 20 miles per hour connecting Green Bay and Grand Rapids.
In June 1873, the Wisconsin Valley Railroad (later the Milwaukee Road) built a line into Centralia from Tomah, and in August, built a bridge over Mosquito Creek at Doudsville (Section 29, Rudolph Township). By 1874, we were connected to Wausau. Continued