(Aegis) Once upon a time, not so very long ago, a train meandered over 77 miles of track between Baltimore and York, Pa., crossing Harford County from the Cardiff quarry district in the north to Fallston and Baldwin in the west as part of that journey.
Various railways joined the 1867 Maryland Central to eventually become the Maryland & Pennsylvania Railroad, affectionately known locally as the "Ma & Pa"…and sometimes, the "Maybe and Perhaps" or the "Misery and Patience."
In Maryland, where west of Harford County its tracks ran through Glenarm, Towson, Roland Park and Hampden, the Ma & Pa line hauled passengers until 1954 and freight until 1958. Continued
Photo: MA&PA train along Pleasantville Road, just below the Harford County line (Warren Olt).