Sunday, November 20, 2011

The inside track on Omaha's Union depot

Because there was no bridge across the Missouri River when construction began on the Union Pacific Railroad on the Nebraska side in 1865, all materials, as well as railroad engines and cars, either had to come up the river on steamboats or cross on ferries from Iowa.
In 1866, limited service started to the west from Omaha, and Union Pacific's first Omaha depot was constructed on Chicago Street near the river. Three years later this depot was replaced with one at the foot of Leavenworth Street. Continued

No comments:

Post a Comment